Sorsogon is home to the majestic butandings. Donsol is best known being the place that has one of the greatest concentrations of whale sharks in the planet.
Sorsogon is situated south of Manila. It is a little over 500 kilometers away and takes an overnight drive from Manila to Sorsogon City.
The curiosity of intrepid travelers to whale sharks gave way to discovery of other natural wonders of this province in the southernmost tip of Luzon. There are volcanos, nature parks, islands, beaches and a lot more waiting to be explored.
Before you pack your things for a trip to this place, check out our list of top ten must see places in Sorsogon.
1. Donsol – Donsol pretty much started whale watching in the Philippines. It gotten so popular in the recent years that these gentle giants are now considered tourist attractions in many places in the country. The good thing is that whale watching, here, is regulated and monitored by government and non-government environmental groups. It attracts local and international tourists. The whale-shark season starts from December to May. These gentle giants of the sea grow to a massive 18 meters long and 20 tons. Despite their gigantic size whale sharks are docile and they mostly feed on planktons.
Photo Credits (Flickr CC): Whale Shark by quinnanya
2. Paguriran Island – It has an aquamarine lagoon surrounded by jagged ganite and corraline rocks. It is quite a sight when viewed on top. It resembles to a crater of a volcano. It is located in Barangay Sawanga. It can be reach by boat from Bacon District or jeepney.
Photo Credits (Wikimedia CC): Paguriran Island by Bill
3. Barcelona Church and Ruins – The church and the ruins are testaments of the glorious Spanish occupation in this region. The structures were built without steel and cement. They used egg wash to adhere the walls of coral rocks. The homesick Spanish conquistadors coined the name of the church, hence, Barcelona.
4. Subic Beach – It is a beautiful beach nestled with white sand peppered with pink corals and turquoise waters. It is an ideal spot for swimming, snorkeling and diving. A word of caution for swimmers is that the beach has a steep slope. It is a secluded beach fronting the Philippine Sea. It is located in the southern part of Calintaan Island.
5. Mt. Bulusan Park – Bulusan is in the southernmost tip of mainland Luzon. The volcano stands at 1,565 meters in height. It is active, however, is climbable. The park offers camping, trekking, mountain biking, kayaking and a lot more. A boat ride in the still lake in the morning is very calming and relaxing.
6. Gubat Surfing – Located in Barangay Buenavista is this rising surf spot. It is ideal for newbie surfers since the beach is of soft gray sands making it friendly for tumbles and surfboard slips. Surfing lesson is available and taught by the good surfers of Gubat Bay Surfing team.
7. Sacnangan – It is located in the municipality of Pilar. It is a sanctuary of migratory birds, perfect for bird watching.
8. Ogod River – Well, its not only stars that lit up Donsol’s dark nights but also fireflies. Another unique experience in Sorsogon is to take a river cruise in Ogod at night watch these enigmatic creatures sparkle and lit up.
9. Masacrot Spring – It is located in Irosin. It is a soda-spring tucked in lush vegetation. A dip into the refreshing waters is very soothing.
10. Sorsogon Museum and Heritage Center – It is a small museum confined in the old provincial hospital compound. It has old potteries and photographs of old Sorsogon. Considered the focal piece is a 10-meter whale shark’s backbone. The backbone was found washed up on a shore of a nearby beach.
Have you been to Sorsogon? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.