Surigao city is located in the north-eastern part of Mindanao Island in the Philippines. It is also the capital of the province of Surigao del Norte. Surigao is also known as one of the cleanliest cities in the country and the oldest town in Mindanao. There are a lot of places to see and visit in the city and mainly it’s the beaches making the city a good place to take a vacation, and the plus side is the locals are very friendly.
Here are ten places that you should visit when you go to Surigao:
1. Mabua and Ipil Pebble Beach – A beach of smooth grayish pebbles is its most unique feature. Popular among locals and tourists alike there are also rental picnic cottages and resorts abound in the area.
2. Berok Island – The Island is surrounded by lush vegetations and mangroves as far as your eye can see. The beach is only accessible only by motorboat. The place also is a good spot to snorkel or explore the beautiful mangrove forest.
3. Basul Island – The Island is visible from any vantage point in Surigao. The island offers a fine white sand beach mixed with many assorted shells rims and the beach is lined with countless coconut trees.
4. Surigaonon Heritage Center/ Rock and Mineral Museum – The museum has a small collection of ancient burial coffin jars and some antique Chinese kitchen wares. Some of the artifacts were found at an archeological dig in Panhatungan, Placer.
5. Buenavista Cave – This is a three kilometer cave with three entrances located in the island of Hikdop. Visitors of the cave can enter through a collapsed boulder into a grand chamber complete with what the locals call the Kings Throne. There’s also a knee- deep pool that culminates the subterranean trek approximately 100 meters from the main entrance. A good place for thrill seekers and adventurers alike.
6. Day-asan Floating Villages – The place is surrounded with dense forest of mangroves and the village was built at the edges of shallow water channels.
7. San Pedro Cantiasay Footbridge – This bridge is one of longest in the country (at 391 meters). The locals transformed the bridge into a promenade. This bridge now provides a beautiful and relaxing experience as you can enjoy the sea breeze while looking at various marine life underneath the bridge.
8. Manjagao Mangrove Forest – The place is a vast mangrove forest that is situated in the waters around Manjagao Island. The forest is a sanctuary to various species of fish, marine life, birds and bats. This is a great place to visit to see various local wildlife.
9. Sukailang Waterfalls – Sukailang is a beautiful 50 feet waterfall. The falls is just a 30 minute drive away from the city.
10. Silop Cave – The place is a unique cave with 12 entrances. The cave is very beautiful and stalagmites and stalactites are abundant in the cave’s chambers.
These are just some of the beautiful and interesting sights that can be found in Surigao. There are lots more waiting to be explored and discovered by enthusiastic travelers and adventurers.
Have you been to Surigao? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits (Wikimedia Commons): Lake Mainit by Tim Dangerfield