Tacloban a city in Eastern Visayass and the capital of Leyte and is also the home of the famous Pintados Festival, The festival is a cultural event in Leyte celebrating the culture and life of the early settlers of Tacloban. Tacloban is one of the many beautiful cities in the Philippines with its picturesque landscapes, historical and iconic sites that the visitors of the city will enjoy. Tacloban is a charming, peaceful and idyllic city with all the benefits any modern cities in the country can offer. There are a lot of thing to do and places to see and uncover in the city and there are also several good schools in Tacloban including the famous U.P. The city is an ideal place for a family or just visiting tourists alike.
1. San Juanico Bridge – The most famous bridge in the Philippines is 2.16 kilometres long and it connects the islands of Leyte and Samar across the San Juanico Strait and it is also the longest bridge in the Philippines.
2. People’s Center Library – The library houses and exhibits a collection of books of different cultures from around the world that includes French, Spanish and English literature and also has a compilation of law books. The People’s Center Library is used by local students as well as researchers and a good place to see if you are into old literature.
3. Santo Nino Shrine – The place is home of the Marcos Family and the place displays the fortune and properties of the first dictator of the Philippines.
4. Prince Mansion – The mansion is an example of American colonial homes that was built in the early 1900s and it was the official residence and headquarters of General Douglas MacArthur during the Liberation in 1944.
5. Crucified Leyte – The place is located on the slope of Kanhuraw Hill, a small park with the statue of the Crucified Leyte at its center and the same image can be found in the provincial map of Leyte.
6. Santo Nino Shrine – The Santo Niño Church is considered the most important religious site in the province and it also houses the miraculous image of Sto. Niño which is the patron saint of Tacloban. A good place to make a prayer or just enjoy the old architecture of the church.
7. Tacloban Metropolitan Arena – The place is commonly known as “Astrodome”. It is a 5,000 seat indoor arena which is a great location for basketball and other sports. They also held concerts and other big gatherings in the arena.
8. Balyuan Park – The Park is located at the grounds of Magsaysay Boulevard. A beautiful park where the city held some of its major festivals and events. A fun place to go to.
9. Madonna of Japan – Located at the Kanhuraw Hill just near the City Hall, the place is a symbol of friendship between the Japanese and Filipinos. A beautiful place to go to.
10. Redona Residence – The residence is one of the remaining houses that were built in the turn of the 19th century and it showcases the Filipino craftsmanship and architecture at the time. It was also the residence of the late President Sergio Osmeña Sr. in 1944.
These are just of the sights to see in Tacloban. Go and check out Tacloban City and see more.
Have you been to Tacloban City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits: Balyuan Park – Tacloban by Shekinaharmenta