Calbayog City is located in the western part of Samar and it is well known as the City of Waterfalls, and yes as the names says there are a lot of waterfalls in Calbayog. There are a lot of sightseeing to be done once you’ve visit the city and some of the things that you’ll see are falls, churches, and beaches. The city of Calbayog is also one of the cleanest cities in the country.
1. Nijaga Park – The Park is known as the largest park in the city and is named after the local hero Benedicto Nijaga. The park is located beside the Calbayog River. It also has an artificial replica of the falls of Bangon-Bugtong.
2. Guinogo-an Cave – The cave is located in Barangay Longsob. The cave’s entrance leads to a natural tunnel with an uneven ceiling, a good place to visit for adventurers at heart.
3. Mapaso Hot Spring – The spring is just a 30-minute ride to Oquendo from Calbayog plus a 15-minute hike to the spring. “Mapaso” means hot as the water at the spring, a good place to spend a relaxing day away from the bustling town.
4. Sacred Heart (Julio Cardinal Rosales) Plaza – The place is located across the Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral and the City Hall. It is a beautiful and conspicuous plaza that has the image of the Sacred Heart. The ambiance of the place is very soothing that makes it a nice place to take a stroll.
5. Tabokno Falls – This beautiful waterfall is located in Barangay Cagbayang, and is just a hour drive from the city and 40-minute walk from the villages. The waterfall is very beautiful and is a wonderful creation of nature. The place is a popular picnic site for the local residents.
6. Danao Cave – The cave is located in Danao and is made up of seven chambers inhabited by various species of snakes, bats, and other sly animals. The cave is very beautiful and it is believed to be an initiating place for those who want to get a talisman.
7. Pan-as Falls – The falls is just a hour drive from Calbayog City proper. The falls is more than a beautiful spot, it is also the primary source of water for the people that is living nearby.
8. Tinago-an Cave – The cave is located in Barangay Lungsod. The word “Tinago-an” means hiding place. The cave is very scenic and its natural dark tunnels give adventurers the excitement and thrill they’re looking for.
9. Malajog Beach – The beach is just a 40-minute drive from Calbayog City. The beach offers grayish sand, blue waters, a lot of palm trees, and towering rocks give this spot a South Sea island vibe to it. The beach has also a magnificent view of sun setting behind nearby islands.
10. Ton-ok Falls – The place is a scenic and majestic waterfall that is hidden in lush tropical vegetation; also the falls is a source of hydroelectric power.
This is just our list of ten places to visit in Calbayog City, spend a few more days and discover more interesting sights to see and explore.
Have you been to Calbayog City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits (Wikimedia Commons): Calbayog by Itsmehope19