Marikina City is also known as the Shoe Capital of the Philippines because of the booming shoe industries in the city. It is also home to the “World’s Largest Pairs of Shoes”. The city is located in the island of Luzon in Philippines and it is one of the many cities that make up Metro Manila. It also has a museum that houses collections of shoes owned by famous celebrities and the former first lady Imelda Marcos. There are a lot of things to do and places to see once you visited Marikina, not just shoes the city offers what any modern city offers like many spacious parks, museums, tree-lined streets, bike-lanes, traffic signs, crossings, walkways, churches, antiquated houses and commercial establishments.
1. Diocesan Shrine Parish of Our Lady of the Abandoned – The church is located along J. P. Rizal Street and ithe construction was started by the Augustinians in 1687 and it was finished in 1690. The church was destroyed by earthquakes and by fires in the 19th century, and it has undergone a number of renovations since 1963. The church is still very beautiful and it still has its Spanish vibe into it.
2. Marikina Sports Park Complex – The complex was established in 1969 and was known as the Rodriguez Sports Center. It is also one of the premier sports complex established in the country. The complex is now a very popular venue for national, regional and international sports competitions. The 2005 Southeast Asian Games was held here.
3. Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina – The place is 200-year-old building that was once owned by Don Laureano Guevarra or more known as “Kapitan Moy”. He is recognized as the father of shoe industry in the Philippines and this is where the first pair of shoes in Marikina was made in 1887. Once in the building there can be found a Doll Museum, Marikina City’s museum, a dioramas showing the events and history of Marikina. If you want to learn more about Marikina this is the place to be.
4. Teatro Marikina – This place is the center of the performing arts of Marikina and eastern Metro Manila. This theatre plays concerts, shows, exhibits and seminars. This where they also held local pageants and celebrations.
5. Marikina River Park – The Park is the most awarded river for the Cleanest Inland Body of Water in the country. The park is also a popular camping site, picnic grounds. A good place to go to if you want to enjoy some outdoor activities like jogging and bike lanes, benches and skating rink.
These are just some of the places that you can go to in Marikina City. There are much more places to see and things to do in this city.
Have you been to Marikina City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits: Marikina by Santiago Apostol