Legazpi is the capital of the province of Albay in the Philippines and it is the largest city that can be found in the region of Bicol. The city was named after Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, a Spanish who conquered the Philippine islands in 1565. Legazpi, which used to be a quaint fishing settlement many years ago is now recognized as one of the fastest growing city in the country and it is also known as an economic, educational, transportation and service center of the region and for so getting its nickname “Gateway of the Bicol Region”.
The city is also known for its natural scenery and beautiful landscapes and scenery dominated by the awe inspiring Mayon Volcano thus making it a must go to for people who has adventurous heart. The region has also one of the most delicious cuisines in the country known to the locals as Bicolano food which mainly uses coconut milk as the most important ingredient to be added during the cooking and combining it with chili making it a very good and delicious cooking style. There are a lot of thing to see in Legazpi mainly historical sites and beautiful sceneries that you must experience for your own.
1. Mt Mayon – The most symmetrical volcano in the country and in the world. This beautiful mountain can be seen from a distance as far as Sorsogon or from Embrocadero Mall in the city.
2. Cagsawa Ruins – The place is an old church that was buried in its location when the Mayon Volcano erupted, the only thing you can see in here is the church’s bell tower. It is indeed beautiful and on its background you can see Mt Mayon.
3. Lapu Lapu Monument – The monument is located at the intersection of the local market and pedestrian food stalls. Lapu Lapu is one of the national heroes of the Philippines and is pretty known very well in the fighting against Spanish conquistadors at Mactan.
4. San Raphael’s Church – It is an old and an artistic old Catholic Church that is located in the city, if you enjoy old architectures then this is the place you should visit once you’re in Legazpi City.
5. Rizal Park – The Park is just located in front of Saint Raphael Church. Its dominating features are the fountain that is located at the center of the park and the monument of Jose Rizal, the country’s national hero.
There are more places to visit in Legazpi and plenty of things to do once you get there, so be sure to go and check it out.
Have you been to Legazpi City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits: Mayon by rjbare