The city of Zamboanga also known as the “City of Flowers” is located In Mindanao region and is known as the 3rd largest city by land area in the country. Zamboanga City is also one of the most important and busiest port cities in the country. There are a lot of things to do and places to see while you are staying in the city and most of them are very beautiful and fun to go to. We’ll list here some of the places you might want to see while you’re in the city.
Here’s our list of the Top Ten Places to Visit in Zamboanga City.
1. Fort Pilar – The fort was founded in 1635 as a garrison during the Spanish era and now serves as a shrine and an important historical landmark in Zamboanga City. The place also houses a National Museum branch inside that exhibits paintings, natural marine life and cultural memorabilia that represents the bygone era of Zamboanga as a Spanish City.
2. Pasonanca Park – Pasonanca Park was built in 1912 by the order of Mindanao Governor John J. Pershing and was completed under the administration of Governor Frank W. Carpenter. The park is very beautiful and a good place to go to if you just want to take a walk and enjoy the atmosphere of the park.
3. Zamboanga City Hall – This was built in 1905 and was completed in 1907 by the Federal Government of the United States for the then American Governors. Today the building serves as the City Hall of Zamboanga City where the Mayor holds office.
4. Cawa-Cawa Boulevard – A good place to visit early in the morning to take a quick walk or jog. The place is also good to go to in the afternoon for its gorgeous sunset and at nighttime you can also spend some time here and try eating Balut (a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten with vinegar and salt).
5. Sta. Cruz Islands – The Great Santa Cruz island is known for it’s pink sand beach and the Little Sta. Cruz island is a typical white beach, There is also a diving site and a lagoon.
6. Zamboanga Golf Course and Beach – This place is known to be the “oldest Golf Course” in the Philippines. It was estabished during the American Occupation.
7. Old Normal School Building – The place is known as the Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) Social Hall and was built during the American Era. The place also houses a Museum.
8. Serenity Falls – The falls is bounded between La Paz and Pamucutan and is located at the foot of the EcoZone’s south entrance. The falls is very beautiful and worth the trip.
9. La Vista del Mar and Honorory Consulate of Spain – A Beach resort with a restaurant that serves fresh seafood and has a beautiful views of the sea. The place is also home of the Honorary Consulate of Spain that has a great museum of art and culture.
10. Abong Abong Park – You can climb the hill and do the Stations of the Cross during Holy week or any day of the year, and you can also visit the Scout Camps.
Have you been to Zamboanga City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits (Wikimedia Commons): Zamboanga City by Appiani