Butuan City can be found at the Northeastern part of the Agusan Valley in Mindanao. Butuan is also known as the “Timber City of the South” and it the city is blessed with a fertile ground for agriculture. There are a lot of things to do and see in Butuan like plazas, bars, restaurants and a whole lot more.
Here’s our list of Ten Places to Visit in Butuan:
1. Nipa Wine Distillery – A locally made wine called “LAKSOY” is made out of Nipa Palm that are commonly found in Butuan. A good place to go if you want to enjoy or buy some locally made wine. Laksoy is definitely one of the best tasting local wines that can be found in Mindanao.
2. Magellan’s Landing Site – As the name states this is the place where Magellan landed and every year on March 31, the city celebrates Mazaua Discovery Day to commemorate a historic milestone.
3. Banza Church Ruins – This place was one of the oldest poblacion of the city. The church was built here in 1625 was reduced to ashes in 1753 by an attack made by Moro pirates. Even though the place is in ruin it is still beautiful and a must see. Today it is the oldest ruin of a stone church in Mindanao.
4. Bood Promontory 1st Easter Mass Eco Park – The place is where Magellan and his crew erected a cross on March 31, 1521. Now this is the place to see the indigenous “Hadlayati Tree”. This place is definitely a must see.
5. Balangay Shrine Museum – The museum houses the remains of the 1688 years old Balangay 1 that dated way back to 320 A.D. A good place to visit if you want to learn more about the cultures in Mindanao.
6. Butuan Regional Museum – The museum houses some historical and cultural materials and artifacts that proves Butuan’s prehistoric existence and rich cultural heritage. The museum exhibits some crafts made of stone, metal, wood and other stuff such as potteries, goldsmith, burial coffins, and other archaeological diggings. A must see.
7. Bar Hopping/Clubbing – The city of Butuan have a rich nightlife and there are a lot of bars in the city. If you’re tired with all the sightseeing why not grab a drink there are a lot of bars located near the Gaisano Mall.
8. Agusan River – The Agusan River is the widest, deepest and longest navigable river in Mindanao. There is a cruise along the river barangays that reveals much about Butuan’s history, culture, arts, and people. The place is just wonderful and you can learn a lot in their tours.
9. Mount Mayapay – Located in the southwest part of the Agusan Valley is this marvelous mountain plateau. Mount Mayapay is believed to have gotten its name from the ancient Madjapahit Empire. The mountain is very beautiful and I think you can take a hike there just be sure to be ready.
10. Beaches – There are a lot of beaches in the nearby towns of Carmen, Buenavista, Cabadbaran, etc. Nothing beats a little fun in the sun.
Butuan is also a nice jump off point to other places in Mindanao. You can take a bus to other places such as Davao
Have you been to Butuan? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits: Butuan by Sebastian Amor – Wikimedia Commons