Cagayan de Oro City is the capital of Misamis Oriental province and is known as the “City of Golden Friendship” and “Gateway of Northern Mindanao.” It is also tagged as “The New Adventure Capital of the Philippines” and “The Melting Pot of Mindanao.”It is located along the northern coastline of Mindanao and it is the most populated urbanized city and the city also has a vibrant nightlife for you party goers out there. There are lots of places to see and things to do in Cagayan de Oro or CDO aside from white water rafting and and we have here listed our Top Ten Places to Visit in Cagayan de Oro City:
1. Mapawa Nature Park – This is located in the mountains of Malasag. It is an enchanting nature park consists of small waterfalls, gigantic trees, lush flora and fauna and breath taking views. If you just love nature or you’re just an adventure seeker you’ll feel right at home in this place.
2. Macahambus Adventure Park – This place is just a 10 minute drive from the airport and is located in Barangay Lumbia and Bayanga. The place is full of fun and thrilling activities for you and your friends to enjoy like crossing the Sky Bridge, zip lines and rappel down to the Macahambus Gorge below. If you enjoy adrenaline rushes this is one of the places you should visit.
3. Malasag Eco-Tourism Village – This is an awesome museum that consists of different houses of the indigenous tribes of Mindanao. The village is set in Malasag Hills where you can enjoy the view of the city’s coastline.
4. Plaza Divisoria (Golden Friendship Park) – This plaza was built in 1901 and consists of monuments dedicated to some of Philippines personalities like Jose Rizal, Andres Bonifacio, and a whole lot more. The plaza looks a lot like the Manila Bay from its lightings and a lot of places to eat. You should visit this place at night when the streets shine beautifully.
5. Monigue Cave – The cave is located in the Barangay Mambuyan, once you enter the cave you will see a lot of beautiful rock formations. The cave is just beautiful but it is really a bit difficult to enter the cave because the opening seems too narrow to be passable.
6. Museo de Oro – The museum is located inside of the Xavier University and exhibits artefacts that were dug from Huluga Cave. A must place to visit if you want to learn some of the Philippine history and culture or just enjoy some of the artefacts.
7. Macahumbas Hill Cave – The site of the famous Battle of Macahumbas Hill that took place on June 4, 1900, the first victory of the Filipino people against the Americans. The cave is simply beautiful and once you’re inside, you’ll see an underground river that leads from one cave to another.
8. Statue of the Divine Mercy – This is a good place to ease your mind and soul. The shrine is located in El Salvador and the shrine is just very spectacular and beautiful to look at.
9. Plaza de Los Heroes – serves a memorial to the heroes of the Three Battles of Cagayan de Oro during the war between the Filipinos and Americans. The plaza is located in Mastersons Avenue. You could also see here a memorial wall dedicated to the fallen Filipino soldiers.
10. F.S. Catanico Falls – A very gorgeous waterfalls and a good place to visit to enjoy the beauty of nature.
Have you been to Cagayan de Oro? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.
Photo Credits (Flickr Creative Commons): Cayana de Oro River by georgeparrilla