Puerto Princesa is the capital city of the province of Palawan and one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Philippines. It’s popular because it is said to be the cleanest and greenest city in the country and it’s also a nice jump off point to other beautiful places in Palawan. Even though the city is seen by other people as merely a stopover before heading out to other places in Palawan, Puerto Princesa has a lot to offer to its visitors you just have to stay for a few days to appreciate the fun experiences that it has in store for you. A lot of natural beauties to see and fun activities are waiting in the city and we will list some of it here so let’s start.
1. Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park – Declared as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1999 and more known as the Underground River. It is probably the most popular sight in Sabang (and manage by Puerto Princesa) because of its natural gorgeous cave formations and crystal clear waters.
2. Ugong Rock – Thrill seekers will love this one, Beautiful geological landscapes will meet you once you get there. Ugong Rock is a 75-foot limestone formation that can be seen in Barangay Cabayugan and Barangay Tagabinet. You can take a climb at the top of the Rock just make sure you have guides, and also they offer zip lining too. A great place to visit after visiting the Underground River.
3. Honda Bay – The place is a must if you’re planning to spend your vacation swimming, snorkelling and island hoping, you can enjoy that all in Honda Bay. It consists of several islands and islets with gorgeous beaches that you can visit. Going there is easy, you can just hire a pump boat to visit the other islets and beaches, and also the place is accessible via the Sta. Lourdes wharf.
4. Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm – This was established in 1902 by the U.S for the Filipino prisoners who had fought the Americans in the colonization of the country and it is located in Barangay Iwahig in the province of Palawan just a 30 minute drive away from Puerto Princesa. Also known as “Prison without Walls” where you can see prisoners that are learning some life-skills and changing their ways and the place is more of a farm than a prison. A must visit and you’ll learn something new and will enjoy the beautiful natural sceneries around the compound.
5. Baker’s Hill – located in Santa Monica Hills in Puerto Princesa , the place is known for its bake goodies and pastries varying from Hopia to its famous Chocolate Crinkles. It is also a theme park so if it is a good place to bring your friends and families, it has also some carnival rides that will surely bring back the kid in all of you.
This is just our list of the five places to visit in Puerto Princesa and I personally think there’s a whole lot more to discover if you just spend a few more days.
Have you been to Puerto Princesa? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.