Davao is considered as the economic capital of the island of Mindanao and a lot of people also consider Davao to be the most crime-free area in the Philippines. Davao is also one of the 25 most bio diverse region in the country. Davao City has a lot to offer to its visitors like beautiful landscape sceneries, active nightlife and a lot of place for sightseeing and travelling. One should visit Davao City at least once (or more if you like) to experience the beauty of this city. From Davao you could also catch a bus if you want to explore other provinces in Mindanao.
There is so much to see and do in Davao but we just rounded our list to ten. So, here are the Top Ten Places to Visit in Davao City.
1. Mount Apo – The meaning of “Apo” is ancestor and it is also highest mountain (with an altitude of 2,954 metres or 9,692 ft) in the country and also a potentially active volcano. You can also reach the mountain from other provinces like Bukidnon and Kidapawan. The mountain is just awesome to look out from afar and you could also arrange climbs to Mt. Apo. Mountaineers all over the Philippines and from other countries too often visit Davao just to climb this mountain.
2. San Pedro Cathedral in Davao – The church was built in 1847 for the honour of the patron St. Peterand it is also recognized as the oldest one in Davao City. The construction of the church was led by Don Jose Uyanguren a Spaniard Conquistador. One of the main features of the church is the bell tower where they keep The Ten Commandments of God and the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
3. Davao Crocodile Park – This is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Davao because of the great opportunity to see crocodiles Even though it’s called a Crocodile Farm; it also houses different kinds of animals.
4. Philippine Eagle Nature Center – Philippine Eagle is the national bird of the Philippines and if you want to see a live one then you should visit this place. The facility is open for public or educational visits. The place simulates a tropical rain forest setting for the eagles to live in.
5. Eden Nature Park Resort – The Park offers a lot of fun activities that you can try like trekking, zip lining, horseback riding, fishing and a lot more. The resort also has a lot of facilities where you can relax and sit comfortably while enjoying the beauty of nature.
6. Shrine of the Holy Infant of Jesus – Situated atop Matina Hills where one can behold and enjoy a beautiful view of the city. Filipino’s are very religious and the Holy Infant of Jesus or the Santo Nino is one of the main venerated patrons in the Catholic Faith. The shrine is also a must see for pilgrims and religious people to offer their prayers.
7. People’s Park – Located at Legazpi Street, it is a cultural theme park and one of Davao’s pride and joy and a popular destination among the foreign and local tourists alike. The Promenade an oval race track from the old sports complex and a lot more other things like man-made waterfalls, stroll crossing bridge and beautiful plants. The park is designed by a well-known local artist.
8. DECA Wakeboard Park – This is one of the biggest wakeboarding park in the country and a must go to place for all who loves wakeboarding. The park also has restaurants, free wifi, sports shop and massage center which is perfect to relax your body after the a tiring day of wakeboarding.
9. D’leonor Inland Resort and Wave Pool – A 26 hectare inland resort and Adventure Park and the main attractions in here are the large slides and wave pools that simulates beach waves. This is a great alternative for the beach.
10. Lon Wa Buddhist Temple – One of the biggest temples in the country and it is located at Agdao District. There is no entrance fee in this place so you can go here and see the replica of Buddha and gold Kuan Yin and wooden carvings featuring the life of Buddha. If you’re interested in the Buddhist religion then then this place is a perfect destination for you in Davao City.
Have you been to Davao City? Feel free to share your tips and recommendations.